Format: Audio CD (change to the MP3 Download of this title)
Type: Brainwave Meditation
Produced by: James Wild
© 2007. Total time: 70mins
Tap Into Relaxation and a Positive Outlook on Life
This recording is one long track of a continuous Alpha Brainwave Metronome sound for aiding relaxation and clarity of mind. It can also be used for enhancing a positive outlook on life and dream interpretation. It achieves this by helping slow down your brainwave activity to the levels associated with body/mind relaxation and the ability to stay focused while in this relaxed state.
Track 1. Alpha Metronome (70mins)
Recorded from 8 to 7 cycles per second. To help you access the deeper state of Alpha, the tone starts at a frequency of 8 Hz and over the first 30 mins gradually slows down to 7 Hz. The remainder of the track stays at 7 Hz. This gives you the benefits of the frequency following response where the brain’s activity “follows the metronome”, moving you gradually deeper in your meditation to the desired state. A big advantage of this recording is that you don't have to use headphones to achieve the Alpha brainwave state.
Benefits of the Alpha Brainwave state:
- A relaxed mind and body – your brain will be producing mostly Alpha Brainwaves when you are in a relaxed calm state, free of tension and stress.
- Increased clarity and creativity – Alpha Brainwaves are known to be higher in people who live creative lives such as artists, musicians including business people who have ‘that edge. Alpha waves are also linked to better short to medium term memory recall and greater retention of information in learning.
- Increased perception and intuition – too much Beta due to overstimulation can lead to a muddled mind: the bane of perception. With the relaxation that comes with Alpha you can experience greater intuition and insight.
- Superior dream recall and interpretation – dreaming occurs in the Alpha state so your ability to recall and interpret your dreams will be enhanced if you use Alpha in a dedicated meditation for dream analysis.
- Increased performance with physical and mental activities – linked to simple problem solving and the state of mindful relaxation just when you need it for peak performance.
- Strengthened immune function – a more balanced immune system has shown to be a result of more Alpha Brainwaves because of the resultant increased relaxation – time out for the body and mind to heal.
- Positive thinking and wellbeing – the Alpha state is known to induce a positive outlook on life, lifting your mood with an increase in the neurotransmitter serotonin. Serotonin is a mood stabiliser – a key neurotransmitter for combating depression.
Need more information on the Alpha brainwave state? SELECT HERE for an article by James Wild
How to use the Alpha Brainwave recording
Find a quiet place to sit or lie down making yourself comfortable. When listening to the recording the goal is to still the mind, let go of extraneous thoughts and relax into your space. You may like to concentrate on the silence between the sounds, which can help you focus and remain alert. While the best results come from a willingness to focus your attention, if you find yourself drifting off then don’t let it concern you - this can be part of the experience and may lead to insights and unusual perceptions. Acknowledge every experience you have. With practice, you will be able to slip into deeper states of meditation while remaining mindful and perceptively relaxed.
Research information on Brainwave States
Due to the collective electrical activity of neurons, the brain produces a resonant frequency measured in cycles per second or hertz (Hz) called a brainwave state. At any one time the brain produces all frequencies but collectively a dominant one can be measured. The brain is highly dynamic and during the day and night we pass through all states being dependent on our physical and mental activities.
Gamma (40+Hz) associated with a lift in mood, happiness, intelligence and greater feelings of love for oneself and others.
Beta (14+Hz) - everyday working conscious state - as you read these lines you are most likely in the Beta state.
Alpha (7-14Hz) - a calm relaxed state. Occurs while daydreaming and during light meditation but can also occur when one is focused and mentally alert. Has links to dreaming during sleep, simple problem solving and a positive outlook on life.
Theta (4-7Hz) - for deep meditation, relaxation and exploring psychic phenomena. Associated with creative insight, flashes of intuition, advanced problem solving, altered states, better sleep and boosting immune system function.
Delta (1-4Hz) - associated with deep sleep and body healing but also linked to benefits of deep meditative states such as profound visions, bliss and altered states.
Research using techniques known as Biofeedback has shown that an external stimulus (such as the repetitive metronome tone) induces the brain to match the resonant frequency. This enables the subject to access the different levels of brainwave activity. Many people have shown that through practice they can maintain consciousness while accessing the benefits of being in any of these states. These include deep relaxation; more energy and better sleep; enhanced focus and concentration; accelerated learning; feelings of joy, happiness and compassion; body healing; plus phenomena associated with altered states of consciousness such as out of body experiences, feeling of rebirth, vivid dream recall, an explosion in creativity, strange time/space occurrences and many others.